EXPERT ORTON-GILLINGHAM TUTORS TRAVELING THROUGHOUT NYC
The Orton–Gillingham approach centers on instructing children in word-level reading, with the primary focus not solely on reading comprehension. Its methodology employs various avenues to facilitate learning.
As an illustration, students could grasp a letter by visually perceiving it, vocalizing its name, sounding it out, and tracing it with their fingers in shaving cream.
What is Orton Gillingham?
Orton-Gillingham is a specialized method for teaching reading, writing, and spelling developed for dyslexic individuals. It’s a systematic, multisensory approach focusing on phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics. What sets it apart is its adaptability, tailoring lessons to individual needs. By incorporating auditory, visual, and kinesthetic elements, it aims to provide a personalized learning experience.
Orton-Gillingham goes beyond traditional teaching, aiming to transform how students approach and understand language, fostering literacy skills, confidence, and academic success.
The Principles of the Orton-Gillingham Approach
The Orton-Gillingham approach is rooted in several core principles that guide its teaching methodology:
- Multisensory Learning: It engages multiple senses (auditory, visual, kinesthetic) to reinforce learning and accommodate diverse learning styles.
- Structured, Sequential, and Cumulative: Lessons are organized logically, starting with basics and building upon them gradually to ensure a comprehensive understanding of language structure.
- Individualized and Personalized: It’s tailored to meet the specific needs of each learner, focusing on their strengths while addressing their challenges.
- Explicit and Systematic Instruction: Concepts are taught explicitly, breaking down language elements into smaller, manageable parts to ensure understanding and mastery.
- Diagnostic and Prescriptive: Instructors continually assess students’ progress and adjust teaching strategies accordingly, offering targeted interventions based on individual needs.
- Phonics-Based: It emphasizes the relationship between sounds and letters, helping students decode words and build reading fluency.
These principles form the foundation of the Orton-Gillingham approach, creating a structured and adaptable framework that supports students with language-based learning differences.
Who Needs Orton Gillingham Tutoring
Orton-Gillingham tutoring provides valuable support for individuals facing specific reading, spelling, and language acquisition challenges.
Orton-Gillingham tutoring can benefit individuals who:
- Have Dyslexia: It’s particularly effective for those with dyslexia, improving reading, writing, and language skills.
- Struggle with Reading: Individuals facing challenges in reading, spelling, and decoding words can benefit from this specialized tutoring.
- Exhibit Language-Based Learning Differences: Those with language processing issues, such as auditory processing disorder or ADHD, can find support through Orton-Gillingham.
- Require Personalized Learning: Students who thrive with personalized instruction due to unique learning styles or needs can greatly benefit.
- Seek Remedial Reading Support: It’s valuable for those requiring additional help in foundational reading skills or remediation.
- Benefit from Multisensory Learning: Individuals who learn best through engaging multiple senses can find success with Orton-Gillingham’s multisensory approach.
- Struggle with Spelling or Writing: Those encountering difficulties in spelling, writing, or language comprehension can see improvement through this method.
Orton-Gillingham isn’t limited to a specific age group. It can be adapted to support various learners, making it a valuable tool for those seeking targeted and effective reading and language instruction.
How Can Our NYC Orton-Gillingham Tutors Help?
We’ve crafted an approach to personalized support and building strong foundations. Our NYC Orton-Gillingham tutors work with individuals one-on-one, tailoring lessons to suit their unique needs and strengths. We take things step by step, breaking down language elements in a way that makes sense for each learner. Focusing on phonics and decoding helps boost word recognition and reading fluency, impacting comprehension.
But it’s not just about academic skills; our approach is designed to increase confidence in reading, spelling, and writing. We keep things engaging with multisensory techniques, accommodating different learning styles. Plus, if you’re dealing with dyslexia or other language-based learning differences, our tutors provide targeted interventions and specialized support.
Beyond academics, our goal is to equip learners with skills that go beyond the classroom, fostering a love for learning that lasts a lifetime. Email us today for a free consultation. Our Orton-Gillingham tutors travel throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx.